Intermediate problem with Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client



I am not too sure if you have encountered this problem when connecting the AnyConnect VPN client software. (Anyconnect was not able to establish a connection to the specified secure gateway. please try connecting again)


I have been working with a colleague of mind in Dakar to connect my computer to the Dakar system via the VPN connections. When we first installed the software (Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client), I was able to connect and access resources on the Dakar network. What that means – the connection was successful after the installation.

After couples of hours, after restarting my computer several times, I decided to connect to the Dakar office that I once connected to before. Unfortunately, I was presented with the error message above.  As usual, I decided to google the error message and surely, I found thousands of suggestions that I tried some but my problem was still not resolved. Therefore, I decided to troubleshoot using my experience and expertise with other VPN client software.

During troubleshooting, I noticed that the VPN client had assigned an IP address to the VPN virtual LAN interface. The IP addresses were part of the VPN IP pool, which kind of surprises me. I make the interface to accept DHCP instead of static IP. After that, I restarted the VPN client and boom! I was able to connect. To proof my theory, I put the IP address back into the system and again, I wasn’t able to connect.

What that means is that whenever you are having such an issue, just make sure that you can edit the settings of the VPN card and allow it to accept DHCP connection. After reading many forums and trying all the suggestions and still couldn’t have it fix.  In the end it turned out to be an easy fix. I am sure you are reading this because you are having similar issue but hey, just follow the step-by-step below.


Below is the step-by-step guide to help you using a Window 7 computer.


Solution:
1.     Go to Control Panel
2.     Click on Network & Internet
3.     Click on View Network status & tasks
4.     Click Change Adapter Settings.
5.     Then right-click the Anyconnect connection and select properties.
6.     Select 'Internet Protocol Version 4" and select Properties.
7.     I had 'Use the following IP address" selected and an IP address in the fields (this was actually an IP address from the VPN pool")
8.     I simply changed the 2 radio buttons on the screen to Obtain automatically and removed the addresses and hey bravo! Connection was established at the first VPN attempt.

Comments

  1. you are simply awesome...

    thanks for the info...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks , but this solution didn't worked for me .
      VPN got connected once I stopped the Internet Connection Sharing service

      Delete
    2. Santhosh, some time ICS can be the cause of the problem. Glad you resolved your issue and thanks for sharing

      Delete
  2. Thank for yout feedback guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Karl, you might want to update the article after referring to the site below :

      http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/anyconnect-secure-mobility-client/116347-technote-anyconnect-00.html

      Delete
    2. Vinode, that is another option - BFE service. I have tried that also but it is more complicated since it may be link to malware issue. However, mine still work. I will update my article once my solution is outdated.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No doubt no confusion this is great post...
    vpn connection

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! This worked!
    For Windows 7, the options are a tiny bit different, so here they are.
    1) Go to Control Panel.
    2) Click on “Network and Sharing Center”.
    3) At the upper left, click “Change Adapter Settings.”
    4) Find the icon for the AnyConnect connection and right-click to select “Properties”.
    5) Select “Internet Protocol Version 4" and click “Properties”.
    6) If it has 'Use the following IP address" selected and an IP address in the fields (probably an IP address from the VPN pool) then change the 2 radio buttons on the screen to “Obtain automatically”
    7) This removes the addresses. Click “OK” and try again to connect VPN.

    By the way, that rainbow-colored shirt may be the coolest shirt I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Problem was Internet connection sharing for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing... like I noted, ICS can also be the cause.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for your job.It works good.
    top10-bestvpn.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks.Great post about solution of this problem.
    It works fine.
    10webhostingservice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very informative and It was an awesome post. I love reading your fantastic content. Thanks for sharing it with us. We are so greatful to your sharing.VPN Client Pro v1.00.80

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Can Universities Quickly Adopt Online Classes (eLearning) in Midst of COVID-19?

Facebook Mobile Key Shortcut (A-Z)